Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal
Laser hair removal is the process of hair removal by means of exposure to pulses of laser light that destroy the hair follicle. It had been performed experimentally for about twenty years before becoming commercially available in the mid-1990s.
How does it work?
The primary principle behind laser hair removal is selective photothermolysis (SPTL), the matching of a specific wavelength of light and pulse duration to obtain an optimal effect on a targeted tissue with minimal effect on surrounding tissue. Pigment in the follicles absorbs the light. That destroys the hair.
Benefits of Laser hair removal
* Accuracy: Lasers can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
* Speed: Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time. The laser can treat an area approximately the size of a quarter every second. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, and large areas, such as the back or legs, may take up to an hour.
* Satisfactory results: Most patients have permanent hair loss after an average of three to seven sessions.
Types of Lasers used in the process
According to Dr Saira Kiyani from Sheffield Aesthetics & Laser Clinic, there are three main types of lasers used:
* Diode: The diode laser is very effective for light and dark skin.
* Alexandrite: This laser is the fastest of all laser types and works best for treating larger body areas among patients who have light-to-olive complexions.
* Nd YAG: This long pulse laser can be used safely on all skin types, including tanned skin. It is less effective for light or fine hair when compared to other types of lasers.
Who are the candidates for this process?
People with thick, coarse, and dark hair are the best candidates for laser hair removal. That said, it can take a little longer to fully work on thicker hair. "Some hair is just very resistant, and sometimes new ones come out due to hormonal changes or other hair bulbs becoming active during the treatment period," explains Dr. Saira Kiyanil, Director of the SAL clinic, who has personal experience with laser hair removal.
Precautions to be taken before the process
Just as with waxing, this skincare treatment is incompatible with certain meds. "Any medications that are a photosensitive need to be stopped at least one week prior to treatment. She also notes that most antibiotics can be photosensitive, so if you have an infection, it could be a good idea to push your treatment back a few weeks.
"Patients should not be using skincare with strong actives such as retinoid and alfa hydroxyl acids," says Dr. Kiyani. These ingredients can increase skin cell turnover, making skin more vulnerable to the sun and irritation during the treatment period. If you're not sure whether your medication could negatively affect your laser hair removal treatment, consult with your doctor beforehand.
Everybody is different, so the amount of sessions it takes varies per individual, says Dr. Saira Kiyani . "Laser hair removal works when the hair is in its active growth rate," she explains. Different parts of the body have different growth rates, and therefore could take longer or shorter depending on which spot you're treating, But majority of clients need an average of six to eight treatments for full hair removal.
What People Say?
I chose SAL Academy because I had heard only the best reviews about Dr Kiyani and Dr Malik. Their knowledge is very comprehensive and indulging. They ensured that I carried out the hands on training until I was completely confident. Keep up your great work!!
I was very impressed by Dr Malik's knowledge, experience and comfortable manner of training. The theory was exceptionally informative, stressing on the anatomy, complications, client expectations and the practical gave everyone a chance to get hands on experience which was very helpful.
Dr S Awan
Best trainer ever :). I chose SAL Academy because the course prices are reasonable and affordable. I really enjoyed the practical session.
I had the opportunity to do my aesthetic placement with Dr Imran Malik and Dr Saira Kiyani at state of the art facility, Sheffield Aesthetics & Laser Clinic. I must say, they both are great teachers and mentors. I can definitely say whatever I have achieved in field of aesthetics whole credit goes to SAL Academy. Thanks Dr Malik for all your help and support..
Dr Ayusha Khan